Performance Review Takeaways - 2020, November
I recently had my first performance review at Forestry.io. I'm simultaneously proud of the job I've done, and excited about the feedback I've received so that I (and we) can get even better.
Our performance review process is really quite simple. It's a 360 degree annual review that includes:
- 7 self-reflection questions,
- peer feedback, and
- 4 questions for managers to provide their feedback.
We go deep on performance, feedback, accomplishments and goals. Then we discuss takeaways.
Here are my takeaways from my Nov 2020 review:
- I need to ensure I'm sharing my ideas and opinions more openly & directly, and not hold back. This is not the first time I’ve heard this feedback.
- I need to keep an eye on my health/burnout. I need to be more self-aware about what I can handle/do and what I need help with or cannot do.
- I need to make sure I’m sharing the context & feedback that I’m aware of when making suggestions for improvements to others -so they understand where it's coming from.
- I need to re-prioritize my own 1-1s, but also need to revisit how we’re doing these so we’re scaling this effectively and that my meetings are manageable.
- Our hiring processes need refining with better tooling to ease the burden of the process.
- We need to dig deep to up our recruiting game.
- I need to think about what and how to set context to improve engineering alignment on objectives & values.