Manager README - 2021, Forestry.io
As long as I'm a manager, I'm going to try to be the best one that I can be. I've recently been reflecting on my goal as a manager and my strategy for achieving that goal. I challenged myself to articulate this concisely and this is what I came up with:
My aim is to empower people and teams to do their best work.
- I care about the people I lead, building relationships, trust and motivation.
- I set context, then provide autonomy & support, giving ownership to decisions.
- I'm growth & results-oriented, fostering, feedback, collaboration, kaizen & accountability on my teams.
- I think holistically, encourage cross-functional collaboration and regularly ask the question "What's best for the business?"
- I'm an advocate of people-first, remote-first and agile principles.
- I love developing and coaching leads, instilling this same philosophy, bringing cohesion and health to the org.
This covers most of what's important to me, but it feels too buzz-wordy and impersonal.
I also dusted off a draft version of a Manager README I had been working on and finished it up. Here's that: Here's my Forestry.io Manager README.